Thursday, February 17, 2011

18 Sick

After about 3 weeks of feeling spontaneous pains in my stomach, I had relief. Such pain can be expected in other countries because the bacteria are simply different. And then, finally, I felt healthy! I was at the top of my game, ready to take on any beastly plate of food that might come my way.

But you'll notice that I'm using a past tense.

2 days ago, I woke up with a hot head. We didn't have much on our schedule past a Spanish lesson. So when the lesson came about, I was feeling warmer, and my muscles were really relaxing and my stomach was starting to feel the pain. I laid down for a couple hours, trying to sleep. This was not a goal achieved. I curled up in my bed, moaning in pain, praying for the comfort of unconsciousness. It didn't come. One of the boys at the house is studying to be a doctor, and when he got home, he took my temperature at 102.02 F, which as you may know is pretty hot.

So then they took me to the hospital!

I asked the soon-to-be-doctor if they were going to take my blood, because, as you might know, I DON'T like needles... especially the ones opposite the elbow for the extrusion of my much needed blood. It creeps me out in a way I can't describe. But he said it'd be ok, and they might give me a needle in my butt, but they wouldn't take my blood, and I was ok with that.

And then they took my blood.

I only shook a little... ok, maybe my legs were bouncing 2 inches off the floor (quite literally), but it passed, and the results of the test said that it's not Dengue, or anything serious like that, and they came to the conclusion that it's a bacterial infection. Oh joy.

So the next day, we were supposed to go to Talita Cumi, but staying at home was the best option for me... with my SSOPs (spontaneous spells of pain). I can now honestly say that I have never felt such a pain in my life as I have from this "bacterial infection." I burned my hand really bad when I was like 8 or 9, and that was really bad, but this is a pain on the inside that I can do nothing about. no position or rubbing or soft flow of water can relieve the pain. It's just... there. But hey, it's getting better, so that's good!

I am now on a diet, and with the help of my pastor's wife's cooking skills, I'm able to almost enjoy my lack of dairy, bread, and anything exciting like that... Drinking more water than usual. I suppose that's a good thing, though the last time I decided to drink much water, it ended with two trips for an oral spurt. That was because I drank it all at once though. Yes, water poisoning is indeed true. That was before I took the first aid class.

Anyways, please pray:

-For my health, of course, as it improves, that I will quickly regain health and not find it hard to locate more pills.
-For Ken's success in fundraising, as he tries to raise money for a new property, as the family of boys seems to be outgrowing the present location.
-For the impression we leave of the friends we make here, and that they will forever remember the love that God has for them. That it will leave them affected enough to live their lives fully for him. ie- that we can live out our lives like Jesus and show them the love of God.

Thank you for reading and keeping up to date with me. You are totally awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Mom alerted me to your post so I just read it now. Poor guy! I am praying for you, Tim.

    Love,
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My health has indeed improved. Thank you for your prayers and your comments. I might not respond to all of them but I do read them! So thank you. EFCCM stands for the Evangelical Free Church of Canada Missions. Nobody really knows if Ken's place has a real name... we just call it "Ken's Place."

    ReplyDelete